Walhallow 34 kilometres west of Quirindi is the site of a former Aboriginal Reserve which was known as “Caroona” mission. It was first gazetted in 1895 following an application made a year previously to the Aboriginal Protection Board. The initial area gazetted was 150 acres and was expanded to 230 acres in 1899. The reserve was revoked in 1962 but the residents were permitted to remain until 1973 when the land was transferred to the Aboriginal Lands Trust under the Aboriginal Act 1973.
The village consists of 42 houses, the management of which is divided between two corporations: 23 houses are managed by the Walhallow Local Aboriginal Land Council and the reminder by the Walhallow Aboriginal Corporation. The village also has a community hall, church and a primary health post (clinic). Walhallow Public School is one of only five schools in New South Wales with an all-Aboriginal enrolment.